Eating is how we fuel our bodies. You want to make sure you are getting the proper amount of macronutrients and calories to supply your body with the energy it needs for everyday tasks, workouts, and basic function.
A calorie is a unit of energy.
All foods have calories, some have more than others. We consume calories to fuel our bodies throughout our day. But consuming too many calories and not burning them off with proper exercise or physical activity, can lead to weight gain. Here’s why:
The body has two options to properly utilize a calorie
1) The calorie can be burned
2) The calorie can be stored
Your body burns a minimal amount of calories on its own to sustain the function of your organs. When you move around and engage in physical activity, you burn more calories. Therefore, you NEED to eat to refuel. But eating too many calories and not compensating with some type of activity can have a negative impact on you. Try to incorporate some physical activity into your daily routine to work off some of those extra calories!
*Stay tuned! Next Friday I’ll be going more into depth with macronutrients. Until then, try out this yummy recipe.
CHICKEN PESTO PASTA
Serves 4 – Prep time 5 minutes – Cooking time 20 minutes
Macronutrients (per serving): FAT: 17g PROTEIN: 31g CARBS: 38 g
Calories per serving: 412 calories
- salt /pepper to taste
- 8 ounces whole grain ziti
- 25 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons of warm water
- 4 tablespoons of pine nuts, crushed
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 (6 ounces each) boneless, skinless chicken breast
- trimmed of fat and cut into small cubes
- 3 tablespoons of grated parmesan cheese
Bring medium pot of lightly salted water to a boil over high heat. Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and reserve.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, make pesto mixture: add basil, garlic, water, pine nuts, and oil; mix to combine
- Coat a medium pan with cooking spray and warm over medium heat. Add chicken and cook about 7 minutes per side
- When chicken is almost cooked through, reduce the heat to low. Stir in salt, pepper, pesto mixture, and cheese. Cook until chicken is no longer pink inside.
- Add pasta into the pan, stir to combine, and serve. ENJOY!