By: Nicole Garrett, Strong Body SA intern 2014
If you’re like most people the holiday season means that you’ll be surrounded by delicious seasonal flavors like pumpkin, gingerbread, and peppermint chocolate. There’s no doubt it’s hard to resist eating a sweet treat with most meals. Although we know that it’s best to not overindulge, the happiness of the holidays usually makes that difficult and we quickly find ourselves 5 to 10 pounds heavier when the holiday dust has settled.
How would you like to have a delicious holiday dessert without all the added fat and sugar to feel guilty about? This “guilt-free” Quest Bar Chocolate Pumpkin Pie is the perfect dessert to fulfill all your cravings. What makes it guilt-free? One of the main ingredients is a Quest Nutrition bar. If you’ve never had one you know these protein bars are delicious and come without all the added calories from sugar and fat.
This recipe contains only 4 ingredients and takes less than 20 minutes to make!
The following recipe makes 2 mini pies:
- 1 Double Chocolate Chunk Quest Bar*
- ⅓ cup cooked pumpkin (82g)
- 3 tablespoons whey protein powder (17g)
- ¼ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (1.2ml)
- OPTIONAL: 1 teaspoon melted raw chocolate to drizzle on top (optional, not included in macros).
- Preheat oven to 325F (163C).
- Cut the Quest Bar in half, and place each piece in a large silicone muffin cup.
- Bake for about 6 minutes, until they puff up.
- Meanwhile, mix the pumpkin, whey, and spice to make the pumpkin filling.
- Remove muffin cups from the oven, and let cool a minute.
- Press the Quest pieces into the cups, letting the sides come up higher than the centers.
- Bake for about 6 minutes more. They may puff up a bit; that’s ok. Just press them down again.
- Let crusts cool a few minutes, then remove from silicone and fill with pumpkin filling.
- Drizzle with raw chocolate, if desired.
- Enjoy! Store in the refrigerator.
Here are the macros for this treat per serving (makes 2 servings) compared to a piece of regular pumpkin pie:
Based on these macros, this is definitely a treat to shamelessly enjoy – and share! No more stressing about not being able to indulge this holiday season, this recipe has saved the day. Give it a try for your next holiday party and you’ll have everyone feeling satisfied and guilt-free.
Recipe from: Quest Blog “Quest Nutrition Double Chocolate Pumpkin Pie or Instagram account @proteincakery