Strong Body Mandy has lost 30 lbs by simply changing her eating habits. She has switched from a drive-through diet to one that’s mostly paleo. She’s been busy lately, but desperately wanted to get back in the kitchen – here’s what she wrote and a great recipe she threw together using ingredients she had on hand.
“This has been one of those weeks where I haven’t had a chance to get to the grocery store. Between flat tires, meetings and special projects at work I have let the cupboard and pantry grow bare. What’s worse is that delivery food has become my meal if choice. Granted, I’m ordering salads and fit meals, nothing compares to homemade healthy, does the body good, mostly cave girl eating. So, tonight I told myself, “I. Must. Cook. I don’t know what I’m throwing together from these desolate shelves, but I’m going to make it work, dammit!
15 minutes later…insert me throwing random cans, spices and fresh frozen meat on the counter. A little bit of healthy cooking experience, a dash of improvising, and wallah! HEALTHY, delicious, AT HOME eating.”
Here is a recipe she came up with.
- 2lbs hamburger meat
- 1 can low sodium corn
- 1 can Rotel
- 1 1/3 cups coconut flour
- optional: 2 eggs, beaten
- 5 Tbs taco seasoning (recipe to follow)
- Mix hamburger meat, corn & Rotel in large bowl.
- Add 3 Tbs taco seasoning & 1/3 cup coconut flour to the mix and combine well
- Grab small handfuls if the mixture and pay them into meatballs (the corn will make the meat separate some, so try to pack them tight)
- Mix 2 Tbs. taco seasoning with remaining cup of coconut flour (add sea salt if desired) in a separate bowl.
- Roll each meatball in the flour mixture and place on a large baking pan coated with coconut oil.*
- Bake at 400 for 20 minutes, rotate each piece to opposite side (if you didn’t use eggs, be very carful, the flour will want to flake off). Bake an additional 20 minutes, remove from oven and let cool for 3-5 minutes.
- Top with a dollop of Greek yogurt or sour creme and fill your belly with delicious, healthy, homemade Mexican cuisine!
*as an option, you can roll the meatballs in a bowl with 2 beaten eggs before you roll them in the coconut flour
TACO SEASONING ingredients:
- 2 T chili powder
- 1-1/2 T cumin
- 1-1/2 T paprika
- 1 T onion powder
- 1 T garlic powder
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
Just put everything in a container and shake to combine! To make taco meat, mix 3 T of the mixture with 1 pound of ground meat and salt to taste. Brown the meat, add the seasonings and 1/4 cup of water, and simmer for 5 minutes. Alternately, use the seasoning in recipes calling for taco spices, like the one above. ENJOY!